26.1.13

In the mourning we will rise.

It seems to me that it's hard to recognize the impact of things in your life until they are no longer there.

Today, I recognized the impact of Enzo Serpentini. He's been my dads best friend for more than 30 years, so naturally he's been a part of my life for each and every one of my 19 years. I remember going over for dinner and having him make these incredible Italian meals, but I was young and such a picky eater and didn't appreciate it. As soon as I became adventurous with my taste buds, I craved for his meals. I remember all these ridiculous things that he would say that would have me laughing so SO hard. I remember him introducing me to beersbie (I should mention I was probably 13 when this happened). I remember going to a huge field and shooting rockets into the sky. And then loosing them. I remember causing so much trouble with his children, Lia and Gino. I remember helping Lia make him a father's day breakfast in bed one year, and ending up butchering it so incredibly that he couldn't eat it. I remember so many of these little things about him. It's never occurred to me though, how much I enjoy him, how much I love him.

I will be seeing you again Enzo, just like you said I would.

"in time of daffodils (who knew
the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why, remember how

in time of lilacs who proclaim
the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so (forgetting seem)

in time of roses (who amaze
our now and here with paradise)
forgetting if, remember yes

in time of all sweet things beyond
whatever mind may comprehend,
remember seek (forgetting find)

and mystery to be
(when time from time shall set us free)

forgetting me, remember me"

E. E. Cummings


1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you have to say, about what I have to say.